How to create a real time satellite image of Lithuania?
The Department of Statistics seek to have a full and almost real-time satellite image of Lithuania without obstacles such as clouds, to ensure updated, extensive and granular statistics.
- Currently, the Department of Statistics, when preparing agricultural statistical indicators, is using data collected from questionnaires and registries;
- Present data collection methods (through questionnaires and registry inquiries) guarantee quality but lack speed, efficiency and granularity:
- the indicator is not up to date and its frequency is low;
- information is not extensive, since not everyone registers their crop lands;
- granularity is low – when studying crops there is no precise locations associated with data points, which decreases the value of statistics.
- There is a possibility to use free satellite data to prepare the satellite map of Lithuania, however, quality is deteriorated by clouds.
The solution should:
- Using satellite data (i.e.Sentinel2), assemble separate images into a full, coherent map of Lithuania;
- Automatically recognize clouds and replace the obstructed places with other recent images;
- Keep the map up to date with the latest satellite images.
If you have other questions about the process, participation, deadlines, or anything related to GovTech Challenge Series 2.0, please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org